Skip to main content

Are you more interested in gold or silver?

From the Aug. 21 Numismatic News e-newsletter

Are you more interested in gold or silver? 

Here are some answers sent from our e-newsletter readers.

 

I’m interested in both but rely more on silver. If our mighty U.S. dollar collapses, silver will be more portable to use when buying small items like groceries, which means gold would be used when buying much larger items.

I would recommend having some of each if you can afford to.

David P. Cafferata
MSG (Retired), USA

 

In my opinion, I think silver is under value. So, if you can hold on to it for a while, eventually you can make some money in return in the future!

Kwok WaAu
Hanover, Md.

 

Gold.

Michael McKinnon
Southport, N.C.

 

Silver! Why? The ratio disparity is great between the two metals, but I don’t believe it will stay that way and will return to a more normal ratio like 10:1 to 15:1. When, and if, this happens, I will sell my silver and purchase more gold. I believe silver will go up at a faster percentage rate than gold, making an excellent buying opportunity for gold by selling one’s silver.

Rodney Pelles
Toccoa, Ga.

 

I prefer buying silver as opposed to gold simply because the cost basis is affordable when you consider price points. Secondly, there is more of an upside; liken it to a value stock over time, you will see a gain if you hold.

Adamjam
Pasadena, Md.

 

I’m more interested in silver. I can’t afford gold.

Larry Rattin
Address Withheld

 

I like both gold and silver. As for gold, I have some collections of jewelry like rings and necklaces. I also have some necklaces and rings with 925 silver. I bought my mother two sets of silver necklaces, rings and earrings. I have some collections of old coins when the Philippines were under Spanish Regime: 10 centavos, 20 centavos and 50 centavos, both King Alfonso XII and Queen Isabella II of Spain. I also have some collections of coins from the time we were a commonwealth of the United States. I have 1 centavo, 5 centavos, 20 centavos, 50 centavos and 1 peso. I have no gold coins in my collection, just silver and some commemorative coins from the present time.

Name and Address Withheld

 

The short answer is silver. From an economic viewpoint, silver has a better chance of doubling in price than gold. I hope to cash in my common-date coins that only have intrinsic value and start a new series. A collectible Standing Liberty quarter, BU, for instance, will rise in value but not double.

Horst Seeley
Manchester, N.H.

 

Oh my goodness, no. If I wasn’t buying $17 silver (and I wasn’t) why on earth would I be buying $27 silver? I go to recently returning local auctions and find great deals on building my early American copper while everyone else fetishizes gold and silver. Remember “buy low and sell high?” It’s a thing.

V. Kurt Bellman
Harrisburg, Pa.

 

Gold prices are high right now, but silver prices are also rising. Although silver prices are going up, it is still affordable. Right now I collect silver coins. I have gold coins, and their value is impressive; I prefer silver coins for now.

Doug Fields
Laredo, Texas

 

I prefer silver over gold. The risk is much lower purchasing silver. Silver 90  percent is so cost-effective that anyone is able to spend a $20 bill on dimes or quarters. At the end of the year, I have enough of a hoard that a small working-class guy like myself is able to hold a physical asset.

Carl Hornberger
Integrity Coin Store
Poquoson, Va.

 

Most of our customers prefer silver due to the spread percentage to gold ratio.  We sell more silver troy ounces than gold at present.

Generic silver .999 bars and rounds are the customer’s choice, due to the lowest spread; Canada Maple Leafs are second. The spread on American silver Eagles is so high that we sell less than 20 a week. Gold American Eagles are the customer preference over K-Rands or Maple Leafs.

Richard Schornak
Integrity Coin Store
Poquoson, Va.

 

The post Are you more interested in gold or silver? appeared first on Numismatic News.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weir Farm Quarter for Connecticut in Three-Coin Set

It has been over three weeks since the United States Mint last issued a new product for collectors. That drought ends today, June 29, with their just released 2020 Weir Farm National Historic Site... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

Collecting Coins Can be a Fun Hobby, but the Field is Filled with Rip-Off Artists and Inflated Prices

Atbsilverquarters Will You Heed the New Signs of #Economic Crisis? https://t.co/MLjKqrgxsa — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 Will DOJ Hold #Bullion #Banks Accountable? https://t.co/jyInJH789G — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 There Is Only One Right Way to Do a #PreciousMetals IRA https://t.co/fgwpjErVLC — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 from Precious Metals News from Gold Eagle Price – Price of Silver Oz

Traditional craft of India: Handicrafts on Stamps Part II

Despite rapid social and technological changes in India, the use of craft products is an integral aspect of an Indian’s social life.  Handicraft aims at processing materials by hand with hand tools. The result of this can be a useful thing or a decorative item. The tradition of making handicrafts is deeply frozen in the social norms of Indian society. In any of the handmade products, a crafter transfers an aspect of their cultural heritage to the ideas, forms, material and manufacturing process of the craft. They’re skilled employees whose profession relies on manual skills. Their main tools are the power of work strategies. Handicraft contains plenty of implicit data that grows every year, along with skills. The order and apprentice system has been widely used to transfer skills and implicit data. This aspect of handicraft is recognized by India Post. In 2018, the Indian Postal Service has issued a series of handicrafts on stamps. The illustrated handicraft in these stamps series is