Skip to main content

One more time: Last editor’s letter completes a long journey

Robert R. Van Ryzin

Even though I have often written long feature articles—sometimes covering 10 pages or more—one of the things I figured I would never be able to write on a regular basis was an editorial such as this. That’s because I feared I would have nothing to say, or that I couldn’t come up with something worthwhile for it on time.

Therefore, it was generally the last thing I did before an issue went to press, whether it be for Coins magazine (for which I’ve been writing one every month for 20+ years) or for its sister publication, Bank Note Reporter, which I also edit. But, somehow, I’ve managed, and I hope readers have enjoyed at least some of my efforts.

So here goes for one last time. After 31 years with the firm, having been blessed to have as my profession what was also my passion, I have decided to retire.

I began collecting coins in 1976 after purchasing a copy of Coins off a newsstand in the university town in which I then lived. What attracted me was a headline on the cover of Coins that related that a certain modern Lincoln proof cent was worth $17 or so. This, plus the fact that I had a stash of some old coins, and friends who were avid collectors, encouraged me to buy the magazine.

Soon I was reading everything I could find on the topic. I put together four double-row boxes of coins, including the coins from my stash, and marked and graded each coin as best I could.

I then started attending small coin shows, where I began by buying Franklin half dollars. These I chose because of the series being a bit older and in silver and because they were inexpensive and that’s all I could afford. My 1949-S Mint State-65 Franklin with full bell lines cost me just $60.

I joined Krause Publications in December 1986 as a staff member of World Coin News and began contributing articles to this publication shortly thereafter. My first in this magazine was not on Franklins, but on Kennedy halves.

I have also had stints on Numismatic News, including serving for a period as its managing editor, and as editor of Coins’ former sister publication, Coin Prices. Along the way, I’ve written five books and lots of articles relating to U.S. coins, with a smattering of pieces on U.S. paper money.

Though I started collecting attracted by the thought of making a profit, I came to love the history behind the coin more than its market value. Having completed a master’s degree in history prior to joining Krause Publications, I was always keen on U.S. history and research, and these publications were a perfect match for my interests.

I will forever be grateful to those who hired me and for the chance to have worked with and for many of the hobby’s luminaries here at Krause Publications including, of course, Chet Krause, and plan to continue to be active in the hobby.

Thanks to the readers for your loyalty and to the feature contributors and the staff here in Iola for your help over the years. It’s greatly appreciated.

Happy collecting.

 

This article was originally printed in Coins Magazine. >> Subscribe today.

 

More Collecting Resources

• If you enjoy reading about what inspires coin designs, you’ll want to check out Fascinating Facts, Mysteries & Myths about U.S. Coins.

• Is that coin in your hand the real deal or a clever fake? Discover the difference with U.S. Coins Close Up, a one-of-a-kind visual guide to every U.S. coin type.

The post One more time: Last editor’s letter completes a long journey appeared first on Numismatic News.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weir Farm Quarter for Connecticut in Three-Coin Set

It has been over three weeks since the United States Mint last issued a new product for collectors. That drought ends today, June 29, with their just released 2020 Weir Farm National Historic Site... [[ This is a content summary only. Visit my website for full links, other content, and more! ]]

Collecting Coins Can be a Fun Hobby, but the Field is Filled with Rip-Off Artists and Inflated Prices

Atbsilverquarters Will You Heed the New Signs of #Economic Crisis? https://t.co/MLjKqrgxsa — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 Will DOJ Hold #Bullion #Banks Accountable? https://t.co/jyInJH789G — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 There Is Only One Right Way to Do a #PreciousMetals IRA https://t.co/fgwpjErVLC — Alex Winter (@alexdwintertx) April 23, 2019 from Precious Metals News from Gold Eagle Price – Price of Silver Oz

Traditional craft of India: Handicrafts on Stamps Part II

Despite rapid social and technological changes in India, the use of craft products is an integral aspect of an Indian’s social life.  Handicraft aims at processing materials by hand with hand tools. The result of this can be a useful thing or a decorative item. The tradition of making handicrafts is deeply frozen in the social norms of Indian society. In any of the handmade products, a crafter transfers an aspect of their cultural heritage to the ideas, forms, material and manufacturing process of the craft. They’re skilled employees whose profession relies on manual skills. Their main tools are the power of work strategies. Handicraft contains plenty of implicit data that grows every year, along with skills. The order and apprentice system has been widely used to transfer skills and implicit data. This aspect of handicraft is recognized by India Post. In 2018, the Indian Postal Service has issued a series of handicrafts on stamps. The illustrated handicraft in these stamps series is